Sunday, February 1, 2009

Federer - Now more far from greatness

A resplendent ‘Camel’ geometry box complete with a ‘divider’, a ‘compass’ and all sorts of HB pencils was the 1st Prize a person used to get in the New Green Fields School, where I studied from Class II to Class VI. I never managed to get that elusive geometry box. I had to be content with color pencils, awarded to the second position holder. I kept on accumulating these pencils over the years. I fought a losing battle against an invariable 1st ranker for a couple of years and then gave in. It was because, rather than trusting my abilities, I began trusting the 1st ranker’s ability to overwhelm me.

I understand what it’s to be ‘second’; that too often; more so against the same competitor. On-stage break-down of Federer, who seldom displays his emotions, reflects what Nadal has done to his arch rival. Federer is mentally disintegrated and psyched out. His outburst reflects his nightmare of time and again facing and losing to Nadal during his continual chase towards 14th and record equaling Grand Slam title.

Federer is giving in. 22 years old Rafa with 6 Grand Slam title will close in and who knows will be the greatest player ever; provided the hunger lingers on and he keeps himself away from injuries.

I feel that after this match Federer is all the more far from greatness than he ever was. The King of Clay, Nadal, will hardly give a chance to Federer in French Open. Wimbledon may be the only hope as its Federer’s favorite surface - I am doubtful though. Let’s see how Champion Federer copes up with more distant tryst with greatness; for greatness is achieved and not begged; neither gifted.

P.S. – Nadal displayed a great sense of honor for his rival; not only in words but in action. His proprietary ‘bite’ on the trophy was missing; an irksome pose for Federer’ fans and to Federer himself.

No comments: